My Blog List

Walking along the Via Romea Germanica from Stade, near Hamburg, in Germany south through Austria and Italy to Rome.

Sunday 1 April 2018

Scheeßel – My day 3 of the Via Romea.


Again, a comparatively easy walk, still flat, and because I stopped a Gyhum last night, not too long.  More forest, dirt tracks, cycle tracks, and, not many via Romea signs.  I am finding that I do waste a considerable amount of time checking the map and directions because where, on Jakobsweg, I would expect to see a sign confirming that I am heading in the right direction, on this way there is often no sign of confirmation – indeed sometimes there is no sign at all.  Hence the constant checking,  and subsequent waste of time.  This is OK if the day’s distance is short, but when it is longer it can be a bit more stressful.


I am learning that if no other cafes are open and Eiscafe will always be open.  I arrived in Scheeßel in the early afternoon.  The only cafe open was an Eiscafe and so my lunch was coffee and cake!  The lass in this cafe was very helpful, directing me to where I would find a room – except that I didn’t.  I couldn’t find anywhere to get in, or to ring the bell.  I then tried to find the tourist office, again I was unsuccessful.  I stopped in a travel agent and she directed me to the “yellow house and they would be able to help me”.  The only yellow house I saw was the Eiscafe, so was back where I started!  My next step was to go around the corner to a Pension, but again – no one there.  All was silent.

I was standing at the information board trying to figure out what to do when a man came along asking what I was after.  I explained my dilemma and he very kindly offered me a room in his house.  We introduced ourselves as we walked through the park to his house.  As it turned out Reinhard had been a guide in the town at one point (though he now lives in Frankfurt), and his delightful mother had until recently managed the museum, opposite the house, for a great many years.  After refreshing myself, I went out exploring, returning to the house to share a meal in front of the fire with Reinhard and his mother, Christine. 

Christine is fluent in a language that used to be common in this region – Plattdeutsch.  She writes a column for the newspaper in this language, and after we had eaten sang me some songs in that language.  What a treat.  She didn’t speak English, but we conversed  through Reinhard’s translations. 

As I have said previously, accommodation at this time, and in this region, is a bit tricky.  Reinhard helped me find somewhere to sleep the following night which, even though off the way, was a great relief.  I am hoping that after Easter it will get easier.  Many places are currently closed, and it is far too cold to sleep in a ditch or under a bridge!
Christine is a very well known woman in Scheeßel.  She managed the museum, of which these buildings are part of, until recently.  I didn't get a chance to go through the museum, but enjoyed seeing the immaculate buildings from outside



Even closed (because of the lack of sun!), the crocus were a joy to see

The Church at Scheeßel.  The pole that people were tied to, as punishment, is to the left of the Linden Tree 
The giant Linden tree in front of the church at Scheeßel.  It was out the front, next to this tree, that people were made to stand as a punishment for their misdeeds



The path to Scheeßel, slightly elevated to keep "firm" when the plains get waterlogged.  The drain is visible on the side.

2 comments:

  1. Wow the next chapter has well and truly begun a fabulous & well taken experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stories and photos, Janet. Best wishes for a wonderful journey.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete