My Blog List

Walking along the Via Romea Germanica from Stade, near Hamburg, in Germany south through Austria and Italy to Rome.

Saturday 2 June 2018

Chiusa / Klausen – Day 63 on the way.

Wi-lan (Wi-Fi)  has been scarce / non existent / or very slow.  I am way behind on the blog, and so will do this and the next few with photos and captions - when I get the chance, and even that is painfully laborious!   I will let the photos do the talking, rather than my fingers!  I am currently in Levico Terme, and heading off tomorrow to Borgo Valsugana.  I have bused one stage, to catch up, and to avoid steep descents, but more on that later. 

      
Today was a church day.  My first view was the Tils church from my bedroom window, and then looking back on it once I was on the way.  I seemed to go from one church to another with periodic diversions for food or to talk to people.  Though I was following the Via Romea I was also following the Keschtnweg route too, and periodic Jakobsweg signs.  
Looking forward.
      
I had only gone a few kilometres when I reached the Church of  St Nicholas.
     
Then a few kilometres further it was the Church of St John the Evangelist.
      
Along the way I met Hans and Michaela from Austria.  They were intrigued with what I was doing, and made the statement that “Australians are always the crazy ones”  - not sure if that included me, but what they meant is that we so often go the long distances on foot and on bike!  They were following the Keschtnweg (meaning the Chestnut way), and so I had a chat with them several ties while on the route, and shared a rest stop with a cold drink at a cafe in one of the villages, but then didn’t see them again
I had to go past a herd of cows which didn’t move. I walked behind the one that was standing, hoping it would get out the way, but it had no intention of doing so, and I just had to hope that he didn’t lift his tail, as I within inches of it!  
The path on this day was delight.
      
The views were fantastic, and interesting buildings along the way......... 
      
........though this castle (not a big one) wasn't open unfortunately.  It can be seen here in the village of Velturno - the big building in the centre.  
A view of the town of Chiusa / Klausen, from high above on the path.  The Säben Abbey can see on the hill overlooking the town.
      
Säben Abbey (left) and the chapel (above right) that can be seen in the tower on the far left of the building.  The Abbey (Sabione Abbey in English) is a Benedictine Abbey and has been run as such since the 1686.  Prior to that it was a castle that had fallen into disrepair.  Even earlier there was Roman settlement on the hilltop, and before that a settlement from the New Stone Age. 
                         
The path was steep going up to the Abbey (above left), and nearly as steep going down on the other side of the building (above right).
      
Nearly down on the journey from the Abbey, the town can be seen laid out clearly (above left), and (above right) the main pedestrian street in the town.  This is the street I followed to leave the town.
I had to cross the river to get to the street. 

Well that is a day's walking on this journey.  Strenuous, satisfying, and always interesting. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes , the words ‘hot steep and Julie ‘ aren’t an ideal combination !!Well done , such beautiful paths .xx

    ReplyDelete