My Blog List

Walking along the Via Romea Germanica from Stade, near Hamburg, in Germany south through Austria and Italy to Rome.

Tuesday 20 March 2018

The journey begins

Well I am off yet again.  This pilgrimage route is a different one, the Via Romea Germanica, and one I am really looking forward to.  It follows the journey made by Abbot Albert from Stade, around 40kms north east of Hamburg, to Rome.  Along the way I will be crossing several routes I have taken before, finally joining the Via Francigena for the last few days into Rome.

In round figures I am anticipating walking in the vicinity of 2,300kms.  From my research I think the first week or two will be quite flat, gradually rising as I move through Bavaria and on into Austria.  In Italy the path is flat as I traverse the path around the River Po, before rising steeply to cross the Apennines.  From there, heading south through Tuscany, there are numerous hilltop villages - so there will be much up and down.

With the weather being somewhat colder than we have had in Australia, I will need warmer clothes and have had to pack a few extras for the cold I am anticipating.  This means that my pack is a little heavier than I would like, however once the warmer weather arrives I may be able to post things home and lighten it.

It is going to take me a couple of days to rest and recover from the flight and so I will be doing some sightseeing in Hamburg and Stade before setting off.  Let the journey begin!

11 comments:

  1. Let the fun begin and we look forward to following your latest adventure. 👍😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very exciting, Janet .... looking forward to following your journey. Safe and happy wandering. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic adventure,Janet! I am a pilgrim from Stade and would be very happy to meet you here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sigrid, I am setting off from Stade at approx 9am. I am leaving my bag at the hotel and will scoot around to the monastery around 8, hopefully find somewhere to have a coffee, before collecting my bag and heading off from the island. It would be lovely to meet, but i am not sure how i can arrange it. If you see someone wearing a small pink beanie it is likely to be me! I am staying in the pilgrim hostel in Haresfeld tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See you on the road....tomorrow..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another intrepid journey Janet! All the best. Lawrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best wishes for a wonnderful journey Janet. Looking forward to reading about each part of your adventure. Buen camino :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like fun and look forward to hearing about your adventure

    ReplyDelete
  9. May your legs and feet be happy little souls

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful to hear that the beginning of your adventure went so well. Now that you have become acqainted with Stade, I can tell you where I lived for 6 weeks. I had an apartment looking down at the old harbour in 2014. There was a lot of building work going on then,, but I imagine that it is all finished and beautiful now. Did you notice the lovely unique doors to the old houses? I really look forward to reading about your further adventures! Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing you wonderful walking Janet. I met you at recent Blackheath Camino Fest, and am so inspired! I hope to have a years walking next year so a following your adventures with glee. Enjoy and ULTEIYA!

    ReplyDelete