My Blog List

Walking along the Via Romea Germanica from Stade, near Hamburg, in Germany south through Austria and Italy to Rome.

Monday 14 May 2018

Garmisch Partenkirchen – Day 49 on the road.

Well today has not been a very big day at all, though it took me nearly three hours to walk the 6 kilometres or so to my destination.  I took the opportunity to make a couple of phone calls before I left in the morning as I was hoping that the mist that had come in overnight might lift if I dawdled and left later.  The strategy paid off, because part way along the sun came out and the clouds sort of lifted from the mountains – at least enough for me to get a glimpse of them as I walked.  The bridge that I think I was meant to cross was having major road works on it and so I followed the cycling signs and walked beside the Loisach River.  It was a pleasant walk with this river having the cold green tinge reminiscent of the Lech. 
The sun comes out and the Loisach River has the cold icy look.
Leaving Farchant 

I was about half way to the village when I stopped to have a chat with Doris who was sitting in by the river enjoying the sunshine.  She was questioning me as to what I was doing, and I encouraged her to consider doing it herself.  When she said that she wouldn’t have the courage to do it my response was that “if I can do it, any anyone can”.  Doris would have many advantages over me, not least of which is that she speaks the language.  I hope she does give it a go.  It was lovely sitting by the river and chatting to her – this is what has made this journey special.  If I had gone the way I was meant to I would not have met her. 
Doris
The mountains coming into view for a short while

Garmisch Partenkirchen is really two villages next to each other, and nestles beneath Germany’s highest mountain – Zugspitze which is 2.92 metres high.  There are three glaciers on it, and it is possible to catch a rack rail to the top.  It wouldn’t have been very good to do it today though because not long after I left Doris this mist came down and shrouded the mountains.  A few hours later the thunder started, and it has been raining since early evening, with the light going quite early.  This region is famous for its ski fields and in fact the Zugspitze is home to the worlds highest ski field.
 After crossing the River Loisach I walked next to meadows beofre reaching the village.


 This building was once, among other things, the Dance Hall.
 St Matin's Church tower (above) and inside the Church (below)
                         

After the rain, the clouds lifted - briefly!

Tomorrow I am catching the train to Munich so that I can fly to London, for the sole purpose of getting a stamp in my passport to show that I have left the Schengen, and re-entered the country.  I have timed this really well as, for the next 3 – 4 days, there are thunderstorms and rain forecast!

No comments:

Post a Comment